From the ALSA wiki
I have been playing guitar since I was ten, I have been "writing electronic music" since I found out, how to "poke" noise out of my first computer's (a VIC) oscillator. Later, abaout 1990, together with some other Amiga geeks, I founded an early, call it "industrial" project (we had no idea about industrial or the developing EBM movement at that time - Kraftwerk and J.M. Jarre was all we could ever get our hands on) in a small bavarian town, where our fellow citizens -even those in our age- seriously took us for completely nuts.
I finally bought a PC in 1996 - and instantly started hating it - until my girlfriend's brother showed up with Linux, which was tozally new to me. I didn't expect it to be useful or interesting because anything I had seen on PCs was just plain boring and mostly poor plagiations of programs I had seen on Amigas and Ataris years ago - mockery made up for people who were not able to write a single line of code or music. I could not understand what else somebody would want to do with a computer, but programming or doing graphics or music- c r e a t i v e things - not just killing time with agonizingly stupid games. I still don't, but since I am running Linux (and IRIX,HP-UX and Solaris) - I have better things to waste my thoughts. Well - that was biography, not really music, now seriously:
- latest experiements use to be found at http://blog.ax11.de/music-by-ax-11/
- brand new and rather seriously produced http://www.ax11.de/misc/AX11-Return_Of_The_Cosmic_Cult_Beat.ogg .
Engineered by my long term co-musician, DJ, and sound engineer Alex at http://www.inspacecorp.de He used to be very sceptic about "unprofessional" ways of producing audio like using Linux - 4 days of heavy-duty music-production without a single system freeze quite changed his opinion...
- Short but sweet, composed, arranged, performed exclusively on Linux, but recorded ("on the fly", during an ongoing party) with an sgi Octane running IRIX: http://www.ax11.de/misc/ax11-cancelled.mp3
- http://ccmixter.org/media/files/AX11/5347 "Electric Home of the Future" a snapshot RMX based on a loop I took from http://ccmixter.org/media/people/ChuckB ChuckB at ccmixter.org
- Korg Electribe A1
- Yamaha TG55
- Yamaha WF192XG
- Behringer Virtualizer Pro 1024DSP
- homegrown PC (AMD, XP1800+, Ubuntu Linux)
- Toshiba M30 (Debian/sarge), mainly used for VJ stuff
- SGI Octane (IRIX), very good machine for HDR
Jackd & tools, Muse, sweep, Audacity, Ardour, Jamin, LADCCA, Specimen and lots more - the named apps were just the first that came to my mind.