From the ALSA wiki
I've been using Linux and specifically !DeMuDi since somewhere round the end of 2002. It's been an incredible learning curve, but I'm finally (2005) got something to show for it.
- My little Newbie Story
- Flutter <- Alternative site for CC pieces 
- My home page <- More music here.
Grow yer own Recording Studio
My mission has been to create a recording set-up for next to nothing using redundant computers. My set-up has cost less that a couple of hundred quid so-far. You want specs? of course you want specs, here goes:
- Linux 2.6.12-3-multimedia-686 kernel
- CPU: Pentium III (Katmai) : 498.883
- Memory: 320 MB
- Swap: 2 GB
- Multimedia audio controller: Fortemedia, Inc Xwave QS3000A [FM801] (rev b2)
- Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.9rc2
- External MIDI controller: Roland D10 keyboard
For vocals I'm using a Rode NT1 when I can borrow one and a little preamp mixer, I'm saving up for my own, possibly with a valve pre-amp.
Madness :: Method
After some experimentation I've come down to using the combination of Hydrogen -> Rosegarden -> Ardour for most pieces and the mighty JAMin for remastering, although I can only get limited use out of it on my system.